- Sewage: Good news, our Public Works foreman reported that the revised pumping system at the sewage lift station (behind the seed cleaning plant) was installed and is working perfectly! We also learned that the village has received a grant to twin the sewage force main from the lift station to our lagoon system on the east side of Highway 9. Both of those things will help prevent sewage back-ups at the lift station during high water flow events.
- Snow Removal: Council also passed a bylaw that will permit the village to shovel off snow covered walks if the resident of the adjoining property hasn't done so within 48 hours of the end of the snowfall. The cost of the snow clearing would then be assigned to the property owner. It was passed unanimously.
- Water Truck Repairs: Public Works repaired and cleaned up the old truck they use to water the trees and flowers throughout the village each summer. The old truck looks much improved.
- Sidewalk Replacement: Council started discussions with Public Works on which sidewalks in the village need replacement. If you have any ideas on this subject please contact me through this blog or phone the Village Office at 403-947-3774. Remember we only have a small budget to work with and we would like to avoid a local improvement!
- Census Shock: We were very surprised to find out that the Federal Government has declared that the Village of Beiseker has actually lost citizens since the last census in 2006, dropping from 804 to 785. This will cost the Village when we apply for "per-capita grants"! But it will also save us money when we have to pay for a service based on our population.
- Water Meter Installation: The installation program for our new water meters is winding down. These new meters should help us account for most of the water we buy from Aqua 7. Something I found most shocking was that some of the old meters had been bypassed by the property owners! That means that property would have been only paying the minimum amount for their water! In my mind that's theft! I don't know who the culprits were and I don't want to know, but the new meters are tamper proof!
- Budget Talks: The water loss problem will the biggest hurdle for council while they prepare the 2012 budget. Tens of thousands of dollars worth of water was not accounted for. The Village bought the water but did not sell it! Paying for that lost water is going to impact our 2012 budget. Stay tuned.
Friday, March 30, 2012
Village Updates: Sewer Lines and Snow
election for April 23. Mayor Rowe was obliged to ask for a leave of absence while he campaigns for that election. I am now Acting Mayor until April 23.