Saturday, July 1, 2017

The Quacking of Ducks!

Just over a hundred and fifty years ago, U.S. Navy Commodore Matthew Perry visited the east coast of Asia.  I understand it was an introductory meeting to introduce the United States of America to that part of the world.  For the most part, the Asian nations he met were friendly and interested in this new nation across the Pacific,

One thing the Asians did comment on was the American language.  They said it sounded like the quacking of ducks!

I fear that trait has returned!  Many young people I meet (especially young women) speak with a very nasal accent.  Instead of speaking in bold round sounds through their mouths, they add a nasal twang to their speech!  I don't know if it's taught or just learned through social interaction.  Maybe they speak like that to get people's attention, but I personally find it quite distracting. 

Or maybe my generation gap is showing again! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment