Saturday, September 3, 2016

A New Name for YYC?

It has been suggested a few times lately that the Calgary International Airport be renamed after former Prime Minister Stephen Harper.  I totally disagree!  I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Harper, but I don't think naming the airport after him is quite appropriate. 

Besides, the airport already has a name; McCall Field.  It was named after Freddy McCall, a Calgarian and a fighter ace of the First World War.  He did much to promote and expand aviation in Southern Alberta and Calgary.  I knew his son, the late Fred Jr. who was also heavily involved in aviation in Calgary and worked tirelessly to make the Aero Space Museum of Calgary the success it is today.

I think the airport's name should be returned to McCall International Airport.  Just because the Liberals like to name airports after former Liberal Prime Ministers doesn't mean Calgary has to follow along.

No comments:

Post a Comment