Thursday, February 7, 2019

Grocery Woes

I understand that operating a grocery store is a lot of work and hardship, with a fairly low return on the investment, but the store in our village appears to be in more desperate strife!   Since their takeover a few years ago, prices rose significantly and the selection started to drop.  Prices have now lowered somewhat, but are still higher than what I think they should be.  Selection is still continually dropping!  The meat counter is almost empty, the chicken rotisserie machine is gone, and fresh bread is in limited supply and selection. 

More and more shelves are empty or single stacked every time I go in there.  Like most seniors, I would prefer shopping for groceries here than having to drive to a neighboring community, but I can't!  Either it is too expensive here, or it's not available. 

Shopping in Airdrie or at Costco is another option, but not a good one for us.  First we have to drive there - and then we usually we overspend!  And then there's the problem of storing 300 rolls of toilet tissue, or six gallons of ketchup!

I don't have a solution!  Some small food stores in other communities in the area appear to be doing much better than ours.  Why is that?  I hope the folks who own our store will figure it out soon!  I will continue to support them where and when I can, but that is becoming increasingly difficult! 

No comments:

Post a Comment