Village Council determined that it would not be in Beiseker's best interest to continue those discussions at this time. I am confident that an agreement will be reached in the future, and there will again be a Regional Fire Department created in this area.
But, right now, Beiseker must upgrade its equipment to meet provincial standards. Our fire fighters have completed all the provincial courses to be certified as well-trained firefighters. Now, we need a new fire truck for them to operate.
Our current pumper truck was purchased about ten years ago, to replace an even older truck purchased when Beiseker split off from the North East Rocky View Fire Association.
A new truck would accomplish a number of things;
- A large enclosed cab would permit more than just two firefighters to ride in the truck. Regulations now prohibit firefighters from riding in or on open areas on vehicles.
- A certified unit would be able to attend emergencies outside the village
- Our current truck operates well, but a crack in the pumping mechanism makes it unable to be certified. The cost of repairing it would be prohibitive.
- With a new pumper truck, we will be able to approach Rocky View County to hammer out a mutual aid agreement. This will enable us to respond to emergencies outside the village, especially to the North East of Beiseker.
- I think a new truck would encourage more folks to join our volunteer fire department.
- Our pumper truck was built in the late 1970s and desperately needs to be replaced
The Royal Canadian Legion's Acme Branch has already stepped up, and made a donation.
Watch for more news on our plans to raise money for this very crucial project.